Launch of strategy paper on Responsible Artificial Intelligence for the Indian Justice System
A strategy paper titled ‘Responsible AI for the Indian Justice System’, jointly prepared by ‘Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy’ and ‘Research Academy of Juridical Excellence (RAJE)’, the new Institute of TCG CREST was formally released on 15th April, 2021 at 6:30 PM by the Chief Justice of India, Hon’ble (Mr.) Justice S. A. Bobde,. It was followed by a discussion by experts to explore how AI can assimilate in and transform the Indian justice system. The conversations in the session drew from the ideas discussed in the paper and will help develop frameworks which can enable their implementation.
Increasingly, the development and deployment of artificial intelligence (AI) has become a major talking point among policymakers, researchers, and technocrats across the globe. Following this trend, the Indian judiciary has been deliberating the integration of more sophisticated and intelligent technologies within the justice system, as part of its ongoing digitisation efforts.
In light of these efforts, the jointly authored strategy paper hopes to be the conversation starter to Indian justice system’s adoption of AI. The paper gives a primer on ongoing andpotential use cases of AI, conducts a global survey of its usage and identifies the foreseeable short-term and long-term challenges. Finally, it proposes a roadmap to integrate AI and a charter that can provide an ethical framework for its use.
Details of the Paper ‘Responsible AI for the Indian Justice System’
The paper has been authored by Ameen Jauhar, Vaidehi Misra and Dr. Arghya Sengupta from Vidhi, Dr. Partha P. Chakrabarti and Dr. Saptarishi Ghosh from Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur), and Dr. Kripabandhu Ghosh from the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (Kolkata).
Please click here for the released paper.
Details of the Event
The event took place at 6:30 PM on 15th April, 2021 using virtual platform. The speakers were:
- Hon’ble Justice S. A. Bobde: Chief Justice of Supreme Court India
- Hon’ble Justice L. N. Rao: Judge of the Supreme Court of India
- Hon’ble Justice (Retd.) B. N. Srikrishna: Retired Judge of the Supreme Court of India
- Prof. Partha P. Chakrabarti: Professor, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering, Jointly with Centre of Excellence in Artificial Intelligence, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Christoph Winter: Assistant Professor of Legal Philosophy at the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Visiting Scholar in Psychology at Harvard University and Director, Legal Priorities Project
Please click here to view the event: